27 September 2008

Pyramid Lake


A few weekends ago I went home to Nevada for a yoga workshop my mom was doing. She has this magic spot...full of tufa rock, which is the coolest stuff...light as styrofoam and shell-like but mountainous, it is formed by the hot geysers under the lake...and the sand was very dark with these tiny white perfect shells...it was perfect. bare. earthy. grounding. a bit dangerous as there was no communication or human life present. The Paiute tribe definitely has some sacred ground and I'm so grateful they share it with us. There is "the mother stone" which resembles a woman, sitting and wrapped in a blanket and her basket is beside her...it is all made of tufa also and the legend is that the squaw is waiting for her sons to come back from war and her tears form the salt water below. It is very still out there. The energy of our drumming circle was amazing, drums are so much fun...it's good to beat on something and feel so productive. I took my girls back the next day, it was a different feeling but it was still magic...nevada is very beautiful. bare, yes. but perhaps that just helps us see things better. bare, but not barren. the rocks are alive with faces and shadows and every angle presents a new image. thanks mom.

9 comments:

Chantel said...

Very cool. I bet the yoga was awesome.

Hayley said...

oooh! i love it. i wonder why we didn't go there more growing up. seems so magical.

Ashley K. said...

So neat. The pics of your girls remind me of growing up and what we used to do at campouts and reunions. Rmember when we built an entire bridge across that river with twigs and rocks? Or how we made perfume up in Wyoming, or purses out of leafs?

I love your creative side...

Allie said...

Beautiful pictures! Who knew Nevada could have such a beautiful spot?

Ashy and his Mommy said...

Dang it! I so wish I would have gone with! Ask your mom to do it again soon and I'll be there right with you! Love you!

Lindsay Family said...

I'm so happy to find you blog. I just told your dad that I love to read your blog. What a writer. I am waiting for your first novel. Love you always!!
Yawna

the crew said...

Sounds, absolutely wonderful. I was sad to miss it- I'll have to make sure to go next time!

Kristin said...

I love your words. Bare but not barren. Thanks for sharing.

It is what it is said...

I loved you being there with me to feel the energy of this beautiful sacred haven, I love you Mom XXXo